Saturday, January 22, 2011

Installing Ubuntu Linux

I have my Ubuntu USB Stick with 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx to be installed on my system:

My System:
Desktop PC: Dell Optiplex 330
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo "64-bits"
RAM: 2GB
Ubuntu Version: 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx


Among all the options I have regarding installing Ubuntu on my PC,  I choose to have Ubuntu Linux as the one and only partition on my PC.


Let's start!!!


INSTALLING UBUNTU


Note: You can see a more comprehensive description in:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
Step 4: Install it!
Clicking the button "Show me how"


1. Turn off your PC and insert the Ubuntu USB Stick while it is still off.


2. Turn on your PC and boot from USB.
As described in "Step 4: Install it!"
'Most newer computers can boot from USB.'


For example, in my Dell Optiplex 330, I must press 'F12' right after turning it on so that I can access to the Boot Menu.


This is my Boot Menu:


Boot Device Menu
=================
* Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
* Onboard SATA Hard Drive
* USB Device

* System Setup

* Diagnostics

Use Up/Down arrows to highlight desired item

Use Enter to select highlighted item

So, I need to select "USB Device" using the arrow keys and pressing enter.


3. You'll get to a black screen called "Installer boot menu" with a big Ubuntu Logo.


You should select this option: "Install Ubuntu on a Hard Disk"
Then press enter.


4. You should get the "Install" menu which asks you to perform 7 steps.


Step 1: Select your language.
In my case I prefer "English".
Click "Forward"


Step 2: Select your Region.
In my case I prefer
Region: North America
Time Zone: Mexico (Monterrey)
Click "Forward"


Step 3: Select your Keyboard Layout.
In my case I prefer "Suggested option USA"


Step 4: Prepare disk space.
This is probably the most delicate part of the procedure.
You must be sure of what you want to do:
a) Ubuntu Linux as your only OS
select "erase and use the entire disk"
b) Ubuntu Linux as one of your OS's on your PC
select "specify partitions manually"


I want a), so I will select "erase and use the entire disk"
Click "Forward"


Step 5: Who are you?
Enter your information, for example:
What is your name
Jimenez, Alejandro
What name do you want to use to log in?
ajimenez-linux
Choose a password to keep your account safe.
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
What is the name of the computer?
ajimenez-linux-desktop

Select "Require my password to log in"

Click "Forward"

Step 7: Ready to install.
You'll see a summary of the information you selected.
Note: Isn't there any 'step 6'? :p
Click "Install"


5. You will see a new window called "Installing System"
Wait until it gets to 100%.
This may take a couple of minutes (like 5 minutes, depending on your hard disk).


6. You should see a final window "Installation Complete" with this text:
"Installation is complete. You need to restart the computer in order to use the new installation."
Click "Restart Now"


7. You'll see a warning 
"Please remove the disc and close the tray (if any) then press ENTER:"


I haven't used any CD, so I can just press enter (I won't press F12 when my PC re-boots so that it can boot normally from the hard disk).


Yeah!!!


I can see a welcome windows titled "ajimenez-linux-desktop";
if I click on my name "Jimenez", it asks me for my password.
Click "Log in".


I have my Ubuntu 10.04 installed on my 64-bits machine














Note: How did I take the screenshot?
Aplications > Accessories > Take Screenshot > 
Grab the whole desktop > Grab after a delay of 3 seconds


Click "Take Screenshot"

No comments:

Post a Comment